Today I’m traveling down to Birmingham, Alabama to spend a week with my family. I been doing this every month since my Mom moved in with my sister. My beautiful mother is diabetic and needs full time care now, so she moved in with my sister in Birmingham. My oldest sister is the most amazing caregiver (I’d say it was her calling…she was also an amazing mother to my niece Hannah.) However, as anyone who has ever been a full time caregiver can understand, she needs a break from time to time.
So as part of my recent “life-makeover”, I rearranged my schedule so that I would have the flexibility to fly home for a week once a month to spend some quality time with my mother while giving my sister a week to herself to relax and rejuvenate. I am blessed to be able to do this and it has enriched my life in ways that I cannot even explain.
Now to the whole point of this blog post: traveling light. Since I’m making these trips every month, I quickly tired of having to pack every three weeks. So I simply shipped an entire wardrobe down to my sister’s house. Here’s what I packed:
– 1 pair of jeans
– 2 basic tees – one black, one white
– 1 pair of black leggings
– 1 pair of black dress pants
– 1 black jacket
– 1 flowing top that can be worn with jeans or leggings
– 2 dressy tank tops – one in black, one in a fall floral print
– 1 maxi dress
– 2 little black dresses (one day dress, one sexy girl’s night out dress)
– Various jewelry items (of which I already had similar in my stash)
– 5 pairs of shoes – 2 stiletto sandals in neutral colors (black & nude), 1 pair of wedges, 1 pair of flat sandals, and 1 pair of sneakers
– Handbags – a few clutches (since I always carry a tote with me on the plane)
Voila! I never need to worry about packing for these monthly trips again. Today I am breezing through the airport with just my fabulous purple Hollywood Intuition bag from Target that has all kinds of pockets for my MacBook Air, iPhone, makeup, journal, etc.
I realize that because I’m an avid shopper and fashionista that it’s probably easier for me than others to ship an entire wardrobe, but if you make regular trips like I do, just consider shipping a few basics: a great pair of jeans, leggings, some basic tees and a few fabulous pairs of shoes. Of course I’ll need to build on my wardrobe as the seasons change, but at least I’m off to a great start.
Happy travels, Stylaphiles!
Like what you just read on Stylaphile? Then please share it with others using the social media buttons below.
You can also sign up to receive the monthly Stylaphile newsletter for chances to win fabulous beauty items each month. Good luck! Thank you for being a Stylaphile reader!